Bachelor of Science, Computer Science
University of Texas at Austin
June 2023 - Present
- Reviewed $100 PCB grant applications for teens
- Guided many students through their first PCB design and manufacturing process; provided support, ideas, and verification to advanced students.
Network Admin/Teaching Assistant
Aug 2022 - May 2023
Belton High School
- Set up 15 Cisco switches and routers; Used VMWare to run Debian, Docker, and applications.
- Developed a WebSocket-based WireGuard VPN-wrapper in Golang to improve accessibility of resources beyond my school's firewall
- Trained 9th graders with IT skills like rack mounting, making Ethernet cables, SSH, RDP, AD.
Vex Robotics Competition
- Architected a complex C++ program for coordinating subsystems in a real-time operating system
- Analyzed camera inputs, gyroscopes, motor encoders, distance, and color sensors to extract useful information; Implemented autonomy algorithms to correct robot behavior.
- Guided younger students with no previous robotics experience to be competition-ready through coding and mechanism design practice
Longhorn LED Level PCB
- Designed an ATmega328P-based, Arduino-compatible dev board, with inputs (accelerometer), outputs (Addressable LEDs), Li-ion charging, USB
- Details and video: k.malhotra.cc/projects/2023/09/sparkletilt/
- Skills: KiCAD, PCB Design, Sensors, Arduino, C++, manufacturing cost optimization
Hot Dog - A Programmable Flamethrower
- Rapidly prototyped and developed a pyrotechnic toy in 42 hours from ideation to demo
- Collaborated with a team of 5 under time pressure to test various fuel dispensing mechanisms, user inputs, ignition, controls, and backup plans
- Built and coded a safe, Arduino-controlled, battery powered, motor driver and HVAC source
- Videos and further information: k.malhotra.cc/projects/2023/09/hotdog/
Discord - GroupMe Chat bridge
- Syncs messages between various data sources while appearing native to the platform
- Reliably operating for over 2 years on a Debian server with no maintenance
- Skills: API interaction, Golang, data processing